Monday, August 11, 2008

One of those moments

Every so often there are 'moments' that just eclipse everything else, know what I mean? OK, fine, I'll explain then 'Arry. (Unless you know who Frank Bruno is then that will make no sense whatsoever, but smile and know that someone somewhere understands and is in all likelihood smiling right now).

So I was having a pretty good day, work went well today, I even got approached by a headhunter which is of course always flattering, we played soccer after work with the kids and a friend and his son, it went really well, they did great! So much fun! I was thinking, 'Wow, what a day, what a good day'. Then I got the kids ready for bed (Amber had had a rough day with the kids who reserved all good behaviour for the evening), we brushed teeth, got on the jammies and read stories; we said prayers individually, which I always enjoy, one likes to hold hands, in the same order every night, it's so cute; then one will always whisper (God has perfect hearing Dad, He doesn't need me to shout!), and one always asks God to bless each member of the family individually. I love it!

But tonight, tonight was one of 'those' moments. As I tucked them in to bed each one of them asked me to sing to them, now that's not unusual, I do it every night but tonight it suddenly struck me how very special that experience is. I mean look, it's not like I am a good singer, I can barely hold a note, and yet my children snuggle up and look at me and even join in sometimes, and then tonight, separately each child looked at me when I had finished and each one said "I love you Dad".

It made me just take a breath and it suddenly hit me that I am charged with looking after these wonderful children who love me and trust me and need me. It just had me walking downstairs wanting to be the best dad ever. I feel so blessed. Very inadequate but so blessed. It just reminded me to take the opportunity for all the small things in life with my children. Singing songs to my children is one of them and I love it! Badly for sure, but loving every minute of it!

1 comment:

Carol said...

Ah how lovely is that. Sounds like you have yourself quite the little fan club.