I always laugh when people say that TV doesn't affect us as we watch it, you know the argument that violence and sex on TV doesn't influence children, likewise video games. Nothing but harmless fun they say. For the most part they are probably right in terms of harmless but affecting none the less.
Today I was letting the kids watch Veggietales on TV, (love that show!!) and i the commercials my children saw a commercial for a toy that they of course wanted. It was funny because normally one of the children will want something and the other two might not want it. But this time was different, they all said at the same time they wanted something.
They all started to ask me if they could have it.
Well Amber and I learned a long time a go that kids ar happy with the answer 'We'll put it on the Christmas list. They know that it's a long list but they also know that thy get a lot of presents at Christmas so it's likely that they'll get at least some of it.
Today wa funny because no sooner had I said 'We'll put it on the Christmas list' than Luke piped up and said; 'But Dad I bet it's only available for a few moments longer and if we call that number now then I bet we get a special deal; you know they only have this for sale for a limited time!'
Well I about wet myself laughing. Then it got me thinking about marketing and advertising. If the TV programmes and games etc. don't affect the behaviour then why bother to advertise any product? Of course they influence kids.
No comments:
Post a Comment