Thursday, October 16, 2008

Cannes

It's funny how we get so busy we don't even notice where we are. I am in Cannes, France this week for MIPCOM; it's been a good market, actually a really good one, I've thoroughly enjoyed my meetings and our systems worked perfectly at Sony Pictures and nearly perfectly at NBCU! But it's funny, I used to travel a lot for leisure, just for a laugh, I've hitchhiked around Europe, the USA and been to a lot of countries, I love to travel. It just dawned on me this week what I had forgotten. I have always enjoyed seeing new towns, villages, cities, I like to see the differences in the streets, the stores, the people, the food, how people live and interact with each other, everything really. Now where was I? Oh yeah ... busy ...travel ....culture..... I had a meeting over at Paramount Pictures today and they were at the Carlton not at the Cannes MIPCOM hall. So I headed out after my morning meetings and started walking because I couldn't find a cab, well at least one with a French driver who didn't have smoke pouring from his mouth and a look of disdain in his eyes; anyway, I started walking. It suddenly struck me as I walked down the seafront in Cannes and looked at the Mediterranean how beautiful it is. I've been here 4 days and hadn't walked anywhere other than into town. the beach was beautiful, the waves looked great, it was a windy day but gorgeous, hot (in the high 80's) and people were out on the beach just loving life. Granted I could have done without seeing the (I kid you not) dozen or so grannies that were topless and playing like teenagers together in a big gaggle, but other than that it was just a really nice walk. It took me 30 minutes or so and I stopped along the way to get a cheese crepe and some juice. It just reminded me that I don't take the time I should sometimes when I travel to stop and just take in an area. It only added on about 45 minutes in all but it was well worth it.

Now I just need to find my therapists number to get that image out of my mind ... dozens of old women topless ...*shudder*

No comments: